Nitrogen contained in feedstock is treated by our technology to rule out the risk of groundwater contamination.
The biogas generation process produces digestate, which we use in our residue biorefineries to manufacture custom fertiliser, quality protein feed and essential nutrients such as amino acids. All without emissions. Two-thirds of the digestate is converted into clean water.
AN INNOVATIVE PROCESS
Digestate processing focuses on production of clean water and quality fertiliser. Our digestate treatment technology uses a membrane bioreactor process (with external ultrafiltration) and reverse osmosis, and has enjoyed huge success on the market over the past seven years (plants with a capacity of up to 1,000 tonnes per day). Our successful, high-efficiency reference plants have a membrane life span of three years.
Our newly developed technology
This solution is a radical change compared to end-of-pipe technology. We use the biogas process and digestate treatment to extract nitrogen for the fermentation of heterotrophic algae, with three outcomes: 1. Utilisation of a high proportion of the total nitrogen content of organic waste with low consumption of carbohydrates. This creates an integrated system. 2. Reduction in the costs of digestate management by exploiting synergies. 3. Improved profitability for organic waste anaerobic digestion plants. Implementation of the first project using this technology is scheduled for summer 2017.
- Digestate is reduced by two-thirds
- Customized fertiliser can be transported over long distances
- Integrated digestate processing reduces disposal costs
- Nitrogen management provides opportunity for chicken manure fermentation
- Algae are a sustainable fish feed, resulting in higher-quality fish
- Increased profitability due to the integration of protein production, biogas generation and digestate treatment
- In the very near future our plants will produce competitively priced fishmeal